If you want to feel like you have a rocket up your rear to get you motivated to train, you should enter something nerve-wrackingly challenging. I'm only telling you this from experience.
We all know that exercise is good and blah blah blah, but sometimes we also need that extra little spark. Something to train for. Something to work towards. An even greater focus.
Why does entering a challenge work so well?
- Anyone at any level of fitness can find something to suit them. The basic requirement: find something which you can't do easily right now. So if you can't run for toffee, a 5km race might be cool. If you're a half-marathon pro, think about the full distance or maybe an obstacle race.
- Once you enter, you have an event to train for. This means that now it's not about what your body looks like, but actually what your body can do. Isn't that a nice change?! If you're aiming for weightloss or improved fitness, chances are it's going to happen anyway as a by-product. Bonus.
- The challenge dates aren't going to move. The time is ticking. Every day that passes is another day closer to race-day. So you'd best pull your socks up! Eeek...
What to do now:
- Choose the right challenge for YOU. Think about what you enjoy, what you'd like to get better at, how long you have to train until the day comes. Running, biking, swimming, walking, off-road, on-road, triathlons, duathlons, obstacles... Seriously, a lack of choice should not be a problem!
- Get training. If you want a hand with this then take a look here and then find your perfect plan. If it's running you're doing, read THIS for pointers. Get appy after reading THIS post on the best technology to help you reach your goals. For help on how to make training easier, THIS one is a must-read.
- Get excited! Yes it's scary. Yes, maybe you have a long way to go. That's ok. It's likely that your competitors feel the same. So start asking yourself 'Why Not Me'. As in, 'If they can do it, then Why Not Me?'
If you put the time and effort in then you have every chance of doing yourself proud and feeling that huge wave of achievement on crossing that finish line... You might just surprise yourself!
So Why Not YOU? What have you got to lose?!
Need a hand to get ready for the big event? Ready to make some changes and want some support and structure? Check out why all Hell Yeah Healthy Programs work and then find your perfect match.
Do you have any extra tips for me? Any comments? That's great- shoot me a message or leave me a comment below ❤
6 Fitness Hacks To Make Working Out Easier
5 Time Saving Workout Tips For A Busy World