Eating all the right things but still not seeing results? You may be suffering from Portion Distortion. (Cue dramatic music... Dun dun duhhhhhh).
This is a common problem affecting many of us in this modern world of 'supersizing', bargain buys and dining out. It's not always easy to tread the line between eating enough and eating too much.
We all know by now that very very basically:
Calories in < Calories burnt= weight loss
Calories in > Calories burnt= weight gain
Of course, the type of foods you eat have a huge affect on how healthy your body is, but when it comes down to it, if you eat too much of anything, you'll likely gain weight.
How Do I Know How Much Food Is Enough?
1. If you're a HYH client, you'll have been given a rough guide to how much energy you'll need each day and which food groups to include each and every day.
If you're unsure whether or not you're getting enough or getting too much, spend a few days keeping a food diary and checking labels/ the world wide web. You won't need to do this forever, but it's a good place to start for some clues.
2. Most foods that come in packets have suggested serving sizes on them. If you're unsure, look for this! If you need to, get the kitchen scales out and weigh the food in question. It's really not that much effort, and definitely worth it until you can guess portion sizes by eye.
3. Studies have shown that most people don't notice the difference when they serve themselves 20% less food at dinner time. If you're still hungry at the end of the meal, you can certainly go back for more. This is super useful for people like me who always clear their plate!
4. Listen to your hunger. Eat slowly and mindfully. This occasionally means not eating lunch whilst a) reading emails b) scrolling Instagram or c) watching TV.
It takes some discipline to focus on your food, but I guarantee if you focus on what you're putting in your mouth, you will notice that you feel fuller.
Plus it will actually help you taste your food, chew it properly which means enjoying it more and digesting it better! So give yourself a break from whatever you may be doing and take some time to eat.
5. Be honest with yourself. Does it look like a huge amount of food for one person? Then it possibly is. Be honest with yourself, serve yourself slightly less, see how you feel. Think of your goals and be persistent.
Practice makes perfect!
So there you have it. Five tips that make a huge difference to successfully avoiding portion distortion. Use them and reap the rewards!
Ready to make some changes and want some support and structure? Check out why all Hell Yeah Healthy Programs work and then find your perfect match.
Do you have any extra tips for me? Any comments? That's great- shoot me a message or leave me a comment below ❤
6 Time Saving Tips For Healthy Eating In A Busy World
Quick Easy Meal Ideas & Tips To Prevent Last Minute Panic